Sunday, June 15, 2014

Community Job Secured.

Working to better my community: Check
Non-Profit: Check
Working with amazing people: Check
Part time: Check
Works with my school schedule: Check
Utilizes my organizational skills: Check
Allows me to teach and to be creative: Check
Allows me to also work by myself: Check

I love all of those checks.

The coolest thing happened last week. This is going to take a little bit of back story, but humor me, it's worth it.

A month ago I applied for a full-time position with the community food bank here in town. For the last year I have volunteered with the children's nutrition coordinator in an after school program that teaches kids about food/nutrition. The coordinator position became available so I decided to apply since I enjoyed volunteering and teaching the kids so much. I applied for the position with complete confidence that I would at least get the chance for an interview, considering I was highly recommended by the previous coordinator and had the experience that was applicable to the position.

They never called me. I called the HR department two weeks after putting in my application to make sure they knew I was interested, just in case they were weeding people out, but I didn't get to talk to anyone (special phone issues on my part) The position got taken off their website right after I called though so I figured they hired someone else. I really felt like I wasn't going to end up working there, but I wanted to try for the position considering it was a great door opener in helping my community and would let me work within fields I am passionate about. Teaching kids and food :)

Last Monday, a whole month after applying to the food bank, I looked on Craigslist for another job. I narrowed down my search by choosing "non-profits" and wouldn't you know it, the perfect job was waiting for me. I updated my resume and sent it off with a cover letter email around 2pm. By 2:05 pm I had gotten a call from the organization looking to set up an interview. I interviewed the next morning at 9 and was offered the job. I was who they had been waiting for. Wednesday I filled out paperwork and got my finger print clearance application submitted. Thursday I started work..

I am now working for the Easter Seals Blake Foundation as a job coach/clerical support staff. I get to work with the disabled community, specifically with a young woman in the office helping her to increase her job/personal skills. It feels so right being there. My co workers have been great, the atmosphere in the small office is this happy vibe of optimism and fun with a lot of love for those the foundation helps thrown in.I feel that this is where I'm supposed to be. It's a great feeling. It's also less than a mile from my new house which is less than a 5 minute bike ride :) Yeah buddy.

Side note: Funny thing happened Tuesday when I got home from the interview after accepting the position at the ESBF. I got a call from the food banks HR wanting to set up an interview for the coordinator position. Haha. Apparently they were just taking their time. I was able to happily decline the interview and stated I had already accepted another position elsewhere.

I know God knew what He was doing when everything fell into place with ESBF. He knew I would have not even looked for another job if I had the chance to interview and had the job extended to me from the food bank. I know I'm supposed to be with ESBF in my life right now. Now I get to try and make sure I learn everything there I am supposed to as well as be a tool in His hands and do what I am supposed to there.

Here is to new work adventures!




No comments: