Sunday, January 19, 2014

there is always hope for the broken

6" x 11 1/2" x 13 1/4"

I really like how this piece, a combo of two completely separate pieces, came out. I made the face two years ago in my first ceramics class at Pima. I wanted to sculpt a more realistic face and kinda went the route of making a masculine face that was aesthetically appealng to me. Haha. He's cute, it's ok, you can think so too. 

He was also Raku'd and supposed to have come out a copper color, but this is what came out instead. I was sad when he came out green at first, but Ive transitioned into absolutely loving the color. Then he fell. On two different occasions. Breaking into pieces the first time and cracking more the second. 

I still loved the piece so I displayed him with my other work at home, broken and looking somewhat incomplete. 

This last semester I made the white cloth-esque piece, originally for the veggie high heel actually. However, after glazing and painting each of those pieces, they didn't go together anymore. I still really liked the cloth so I put it with all my other sculptures holding out hope it would work with something someday. 

Then last weekend that day came. I was ridiculously sick and laid in bed all Saturday afternoon and evening. Fancy that, all my sculpture pieces are in complete view from my bed. I was looking at the green man and then BAM! Impression of combining him with the cloth piece came glowing in my mind. So, despite my complete exhaustion and nausea, I got out of bed and put them together to see if they'd work. AND THEY DID!!! Yay for inspiration from Heaven on that one :) 

I titled it "there is always hope for the broken" because my green man became complete when put together with the white flowing cloth. I really do like it, I hope you all do too. 


No comments: