Thursday, January 9, 2014

I'm that loud neighbor.

So... 

I highly dislike apartment living for many a reason, but most recently, since getting new downstairs neighbors, it's because of the thinness of our walls/floors/ceilings. 

A few months ago, after having the missionaries over for dinner there was a loud knocking on our floor from the new neighbors below. To say the least I was annoyed. So I went downstairs to see what the problem was. Passive aggressive and I don't get along that well and I've learned that communicating or trying to is always better than not trying to understand where someone is coming from. 

I told myself I was going to be nice and said a silent prayer to help me accomplish that. God truly answered that prayer because I stood at a half opened door while the woman neighbor sat on her couch, while her boyfriend held the door open for her, swearing at me and calling me an elephant. I profusouly apologized for making noise and asked them to see that our apartments are not top quality so noise should be expected sometimes and that I'm a big girl, noise should be expected. While I was talking though I did try to recognize that we could truly be at fault for being loud, and that it wasn't just the neighbors being rude. I had to keep reminding myself to be Christlike though and do what I think He would do. Be a disciple in word and deed. Its hard, but I tried to let them know we would try and be quieter and said sorry again. 

Once I got upstairs I realized that the main culprit for the noise making was our dining room chairs moving across the floor, and vowed to try and be quieter. I did recognize we were loud other ways too and have tried since then to be conscious of my neighbors and the noise we make. 

Then last month my niece and nephew were over for dinner and kept making noise on the floor that I was sure was going to perturb the neighbors. Sure enough within the hour that knock on the floor came again. I had told the kids to be quieter to no avail so when that knock came we, the kids and I, marched downstairs to apologize. The kids apologized to the teenage daughter who answered the door. Mom was in the kitchen listening. They accepted the apology and closed the door. 

One night later that week the neighbors music got really loud with a lot if bass and was loud enough to rattle my floor. I happily went to politely, I'm not being sarcastic I wanted to be nice, ask them to turn their music down a little. I knocked and knocked, waited patiently, and knocked one last time. The last knock had someone peek out the peep hole which is when I waved at them. Haha. They moved away from the peep hole and then moved back again. So I waived again and asked through the closed door if they would please turn their music down. They did after the last song. Thanks neighbors. 

Now onto tonight, which is a few weeks later, I was doing hair for my sisters friend and her two kids were here too. They made some loud noises so as soon as they left I was going to go down to apologize. Woooo, that was fun. As I was heading out the door loud music with a lot of bass starting playing. I thought great, this is going to go well. 

Anywho, the mom answered the door this time, no swearing, but she proceeded to tell me that every time we were loud her boyfriend was going to turn the music up louder. I apologized again and tried to see if there was anything we could do to help them not be as frustrated with out noise? Apparently nothing would help. I went back upstairs and prayed. 

I prayed that I would be forgiven that I hadn't tried to befriend the family and had allowed satan to mess with us. I apologized for making noise and asked that our neighbors hearts would soften and we could one day be friends. I prayed that we would be able to be quieter. 

We then endured the music and bass for an hour before I called to report them to our complex security guard. The music is off now and tomorrow I get to go and talk to the office about the problem and see if they would be willing to mediate a conversation between my neighbor and I if this happens again. 

Oh the joys of being a grown up. I am thankful I have the gospel in my life that is teaching me to be accountable for my actions and helping me to love even when I don't always want to. Pray for us. 

Maybe I'll try making them cookies, that would work for me ;) 





No comments: